Tuesday 12 May 2015

So I kind of have some HUGE news

I actually couldn't wait to get to the end of the post to write this:
I GOT A JOB AT PENGUIN

But here's how it happened:

Back in February I applied for a job as Design Assistant to the Children's department of Penguin (now Penguin Random House) and I remember thinking there is never going to be a job more perfect for me than this; reading/books and design are my 2 favourite things ever and in a position like this I would get to be a part of the 2 combined. I already had my CV and PDF portfolio ready but I needed a cover letter and it needed to be a damn good one for such a prestigious company. I put my absolute heart and soul into that cover letter (that might sound cliché but it's true) and was very honest, because that's the best way to be. People want to see enthusiasm, and I've got plenty of it. 

Just under 3 weeks ago I received an email telling me I'd been shortlisted and invited for interview at Penguin publishers down in London the following Tuesday and I couldn't believe it. I actually think I'm still in shock. So early Monday morning Bryce and I packed up the car, got some coffee and drove down to London for a couple of days so we could make the most of being there around my interview.

Making the most of being in London included visiting the new flagship Lush store which has 3 floors(!!!) There's so many new and exclusive products I could have spent hours in there, and probably did. I restrained myself though and came away with just a couple of soaps and bath melts. The soap is salted caramel scented and I can't get enough of it. I also bought a present for Frankie as she was letting us stay with her – nothing says thank you like Lush products (or people might think you're saying they smell, hopefully it's the former)

I also fell absolutely in love with the carrier bag.




We didn't actually do anything hugely tourist-y as we wanted to use the couple of days to relax, not including the panic before the interview, and before we knew it it was time for my interview.



I don't want to get too much into the actual interview itself as that's my personal experience and I'd quite like to keep it to myself as it was such a great experience but I fell in love with the place as soon as I walked into the reception (the table has books IN it!) I remember thinking "even if I don't get this job, at least I got to come here and oh wow it's amazing!" – this excitement did not leave me the whole interview. The 2 people who interviewed me were absolutely lovely, and I can't believe I get to work with them. I was so over-enthusiastic about Adventure Time they gave me this book to take home with me which I thought was so nice of them and now I have it as a permanent reminder of my interview (as well as my job)


The following week I was invited back for a second interview, which was to take place in 2 days time, which meant I got to go back to London, see Frankie again, visit Lush again and then relive the dream at the Penguin offices and show more people my portfolio. I really felt like the pressure was on this time, but knowing I'd got so far gave me the drive to really go for it even more this time. Being interviewed by someone else who was easy to talk to definitely helped too. I didn't think I could be more enthusiastic about the job, but apparently I had reserves and it paid off. I received a phone call the following day as I was just getting back into Carlisle offering me the job and I cried. Genuinely cried.


I still stand by what I said in my second interview:
This is more than just a job for me, this is a lifestyle and the absolute dream. I want a job that I'm passionate about, that I think about all the time and I really enjoy.

But now I've actually got it and I still can't believe it.
 Over 300 down to 20 down to 6 down to 2 down to 1
x

No comments:

Post a Comment